Finance & Compliance Director
People In Need (hereinafter PIN) is an international non-governmental, non-profit organization founded on the values of humanism, freedom, equality, dignity and solidarity. We believe that people anywhere in the world should have a right to make decisions about their lives and to benefit from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. PIN is a growing organisation that works in 30 countries worldwide and has a global annual turnover of over 70 million GBP. It is in the process of establishing a UK branch which has recently been registered as a UK Charity.
PIN UK is a Charitable Incorporated Organization recently registered in the UK. PIN UK is looking to recruit a part time Finance & Compliance Director to join our expanding team based in the London office. We can offer flexible working hours if needed.
Reporting to the Executive Director, you will assist with compliance in all working areas. You will help to identify and mitigate regulatory risks across the area of our operations, while promoting a proactive compliance culture. You will introduce and monitor all necessary policies and procedures that PIN UK must follow in compliance with UK law and regulations for charities. These include (but not exhaustively) human resources & employment, safeguarding, as well as financial & operational procedures (e.g. procurements, legal). In cooperation with relevant PIN international departments you will ensure that PIN UK policies and procedures comply, as much as possible, with those of PIN’s global programming.
The successful candidate will have experience of working within a compliance, finance or operational function and have working knowledge and understanding of the charity sector in the UK, and sound knowledge of UK’s Charity Commission regulations. This is the perfect role for someone with a background in finance or compliance who is looking for a new challenge and can really make the position their own and grow with the organization as it continues to expand.
Key deliverables (essential duties and responsibilities):
- Manage the development of PIN UK’s financial, accounting and reporting system
- Responsibility for accurate, punctual and complete accounting data
- Draft the necessary policies and procedures to reflect law requirements or if possible adapt policies of PIN CZ
- Develop internal policies and procedures manuals and ensure it is maintained.
- Make sure that PIN UK complies with requirements for a Charity registered in the UK, other relevant laws and donor’s requirements
- Keep up to date with, and understand, relevant laws and regulations
- Interpret and disseminate information about regulatory changes and adapt procedures, documents and compliance tools to accommodate these rule changes.
- Perform regular compliance checks ensuring procedures are compiled with all tax payments made promptly and correctly and ensuring all forms properly completed.
- Perform risk assessments to understand risk level, significance and scope
- Investigate irregularities and non-compliance issues and ensure that your findings are recorded and followed up with management so that issues can be rectified
- Educate employees on not only the regulations, but also the impact on the organisation if these aren't complied with
- Contribute to robust and effective compliance controls within the organisation
- Assist the Executive Director and PIN UK’s trustees as required with planning and advisory work, highlight or escalate areas of concern
- Report back to the Executive Director and PIN UK’s trustees on current risk and compliance performance
- Perform various general administrative duties (such as file creation and maintenance of ongoing administrative projects)
- Collaborate with other departments, including those from PIN CZ, to create a culture of compliance.
Please note: The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive. This job description is subject to review to ensure that it truly reflects the strategic direction requirements of PIN.
Core competencies of required for to perform effective in this role:
- Job knowledge: Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the responsibilities specific to the job, as well as the ongoing capacity to stay abreast of changes in job functions.
- Interpersonal/Communications skills: Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with other employees and trustees. Maintain good work relationships both internally and externally and has the ability to work productively as a team.
- Problem solving skills: Demonstrates the ability to use creativity, reasoning, past experience, information and available resources to resolve issues.
- Compliance: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout PIN.
- Situation Judgment: Demonstrates the ability to make good decisions about what should be done given a specific situation. Thinks carefully before taking action and behaves appropriately for the circumstances. Yet, has an ability to analyse and interpret information quickly.
- Leadership: Takes responsibility for actions, decisions, and outcomes. Can confidently take the lead role on a team, if and when necessary.
- A minimum of three years’ experience of working in compliance, finance, operational and/or administrative roles (essential)
- Experience of working in the non-profit/charity sector and a solid understanding of UK Charity Commission requirements is essential
- CA/ACA/ACCA qualified or equivalent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of working with people at all levels within and external to the NGO sector
- The ability to build respect with trustees and colleagues by understanding the detail of the work
- Ease with complex and technical regulations
- A key eye for detail
- and perhaps most importantly - sound judgement - and the ability to solve problems and identify commercially viable solutions
Closing date 3rd of March 2019. We reserve the right to close this vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are advised to submit your application as soon as possible.